, as well as among the New Finds of 1975. In 1930, construction began on a new building along the south wall, which was completed in 1951. In this severe and barren land, it is difficult to sustain life. The Sinai brotherhood is aware of both the enormity and the extent of the demands, as well as the overwhelming costs, of the task that has been undertaken, which surpasses its strength, humanly speaking. The library now consists of some 3,300 manuscripts, and some 8,000 early printed books, together with 5,000 new books. The earliest manuscripts written at Sinai date to the time of the Arab predominance of the area, a time in which contact with the Orthodox centres of book production were difficult. , The complex houses irreplaceable works of art: mosaics, the best collection of early icons in the world, many in encaustic, as well as liturgical objects, chalices and reliquaries, and church buildings. The Sinai manuscripts comprise the oldest and most important Christian monastic library collection. These include the first editions of Homer (1488) and Plato (1513), and the Comedies of Aristophanes (1498), the Great Etymological Lexicon of the Greek Language (1499), and Suidae’s Lexicon (1499). The monastery has never been destroyed or looted in all its history, making it one of the oldest working Christian monasteries in the world. There were also texts in Hebrew, Latin, and Ethiopian. The Scholarly Committee for the Ladderof the Sacred Monastery of Mount Sinai. Data die kalend. N. Pigoulewski (1937), Manuscrits syriaques bibliques de Léningrad. On May 25, 1975, Archimandrite Sophronius, then the Skevophylax of the monastery, discovered a cache of manuscript leaves and fragments in the tower on the north wall of the monastery. , Icon of the enthroned Virgin and Child with saints and angels, 6th century, The oldest known icon of Christ Pantocrator, encaustic on panel, 13th century Byzantine icon of Saint Michael the Archangel. The Saint Catherine's Foundation works with its academic partner, the Ligatus Research Center at the University of the Arts, London, to raise awareness of the monastery's unique cultural significance via lectures, books and articles. M. F. Brosset (1858), Note sur un manuscrit géorgien de la Bibliothèque Impériale publique et provenant de M. Tischendorf. The Sinai manuscripts comprise the oldest and most important Christian monastic library collection. Others understand blankets. The Codex Sinaiticus and the Codex Vaticanus are the oldest copies of the scriptures written on parchment.  Maxentius ordered her to be beheaded. The finding from 1859 left the monastery in the 19th century for Russia, in circumstances that had been long disputed.  The furious emperor condemned Catherine to death on a spiked breaking wheel, but, at her touch, it shattered.  The living bush on the grounds is purportedly the one seen by Moses. It occurs again in XI. The monastery is still surrounded by the massive fortifications that have preserved it. Greek Orthodox monastery at the foot of Mount Sinai, Egypt, 2011 photo from the north of the monastery, facing southwards, The monastery is located in the shadow of a group of three mountains –. There are many early and important editions of the Holy Scriptures, of patristic and classical texts, and of Orthodox service books. The rest are principally in Arabic, Syriac, Georgian, and Slavonic, through there are other manuscripts in Polish, Hebrew, Ethiopian, Armenian, Latin, and Persian. Recently, the Sinai Fathers came in contact and agreed to work together with the University of Leuven (the Department of Early Christian and Byzantine Studies), which also concurrently initiated in 2018 the same work in the person of the quite capable new researcher Maxim Venetskov, under the guidance of Professor Peter Van Deun. The conservation of its architectural structures, paintings, and books comprise much of the Foundation's purpose. The original text (from Patrologiæ Latinæ of J.P.Migne, 1862, vol.77, 1117D-1119B & manuscript Cologne 92, 8th cent., f.140ab - www.ceec.uni-koeln.de). In earlier times, manuscripts were kept in three different places: in the north wall of the monastery, in the vicinity of the church, and in a central location where the texts were accessible. In other manuscripts, the capital letters have been designed and executed with a high artistic ability. During the Ottoman Empire, the mosque was in desolate condition; it was restored in the early 20th century.. , The most important manuscripts have since been filmed or digitized, and so are accessible to scholars. 3rd ed. Zaza Aleksidze (Tbilisi, Georgia); André Binggili (Paris, France); Sebastian Brock (Oxford, UK); Michelle Brown (London, UK); Guglielmo Cavallo (Rome, Italy); Steve Delamarter (Portland, OR, USA); Alain J. Desreumaux (Paris, France); David Ganz (Cambridge, UK); Paul Géhin (Paris, France); Jost Gippert (Frankfurt, Germany); Sidney Griffeth (Washignton DC, USA); Getachew Haile (Minnesota; New York, USA); Dieter Harlfinger (Hamburg, Germany); Hikmat Kashouh (Metn, Lebanon); Vasilios Karsaros (Thessaloniki, Greece); Grigory Kessel (Vienna, Austria); Daniela Mairhofer (Princeton, NJ, USA); Heinz Miklas (Vienna, Austria); Christa Müller-Kessler (University of Jena, Germany); Panayotis Nikopolous (Athens, Greece); Pasquale Orsini (Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities, Central Institute for Archives, Italy); Bernard Outtier (Paris, France); Claudia Rapp (Vienna, Austria); Giulia Rossetto (Viennna, Austria); Alexander Treiger (Nova Scotia, Canada); Agammenon Tselikas (Athens, Greece); Nigel Wilson (Oxford, UK).  The patronal feast of the monastery is the Feast of the Transfiguration. During the period of the Crusades which was marked by bitterness between the Orthodox and Catholic churches, the monastery was patronized by both the Byzantine emperors and the rulers of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, and their respective courts. 482–494. The monastery, along with several dependencies in the area, constitute the entire Church of Sinai, which is headed by an archbishop, who is also the abbot of the monastery. Nos enim sub colore ecclesiastici regiminis, mundi hujus fluctibus volvimur , qui frequenter nos obruunt, sed coelestis gratiae manu protegente, de profundo re- levamur. For we, under the colour of ecclesiastical government, are tossed in the billows of this world, which frequently overwhelm us. The oldest icon on an Old Testament theme is also preserved there. But by the protecting hand of heavenly grace we are raised up again from the deep. Naturally, this region is sacred to Christians, Jews and Muslims alike. It is written four columns to the page, in a clear and regular script. sfn error: no target: CITEREFClugnet1908 (, sfn error: no target: CITEREFMorton1841 (. It is a splendid manuscript of the Holy Scriptures, which originally contained the entire Old and New Testaments, plus the Shepherd of Hermas, and the Epistle of Barnabas. Cf. Saint Catherine's Monastery (Arabic: دير القدّيسة كاترين; Greek: Μονὴ τῆς Ἁγίας Αἰκατερίνης), officially "Sacred Monastery of the God-Trodden Mount Sinai" (Greek: Ιερά Μονή του Θεοβαδίστου Όρους Σινά), is an Eastern Orthodox monastery located on the Sinai Peninsula, at the mouth of a gorge at the foot of Mount Sinai, near the town of Saint Catherine, Egypt. Between 548 and 565, the Eastern Roman emperor, Justinian the Great, ordered the construction of a monastery dedicated to Saint Catherine at this site. The Epistle of thy Humility testifies to the holiness of thy life; whence we give great thanks to Almighty God, for that we know that there are still some to pray for our sins. The large icon collection begins with a few dating to the 5th (possibly) and 6th centuries, which are unique survivals; the monastery having been untouched by Byzantine iconoclasm, and never sacked. During the seventh century, the isolated Christian anchorites of the Sinai were eliminated: only the fortified monastery remained. When Egeria visited the Sinai in 383-384, she wrote approvingly of the way the monks read to her the scriptural accounts concerning the various events that had taken place there.  Founded on November 2, 2007 at the Royal Geographical Society in London needs new funds for the conservation workshop, digitization studio and full complement of conservation boxes designed to protect the most vulnerable manuscripts of the monastery. More recently, it has been known as Saint Catherine’s Monastery.